Japanese knotweed, The underground part of this herb has already been used as medicine for thousands of years, mainly treating Lyme disease, cough, joint pain, chronic bronchitis, jaundice, amenorrhea, hypertension, and so on.
In addition to its extensive medicinal uses, it is also cultivated as ornamental plant and cooked as food too. Its edible parts, including edible leaves and shoots, are eaten as vegetable. And its root is used for making refreshing cold drinks to replace tea in summer.
Japanese knotweed benefits:
Resveratrol is actually a type of chemical produced to increase the plant’s resistance to the environmental stresses, such as bad weather, microbial infection, etc. This matter has significant pharmacological and biological effects, such as fighting cancer, protecting nerve, defying aging, reducing inflammation, prolonging life, and so on.
Modern pharmacological actions of polygonum cuspidatum
1. Anthraquinone injection has significant antihypertensive effect on anesthetized rabbits;
2. Resveratrol has a therapeutic effect on peroxidized corn oil induced liver injury in rats;
3. Emodin and naphthoquinone are with antibacterial activity;
4. Experiments by electrical stimulation of the superior laryngeal nerve in cats showed that emodin, PD, and compound prescription of Polygonum cuspidatum had antitussive effect;
5. It has anti-cancer effect;
6. Its oxalic acid can cause hypoglycemic shock in rabbits by intravenous injection. In addition, this herb can reduce the incidence and mortality of diabetes in experimental animals;
7. Polydatin (200mg/kg) can significantly reduce serum cholesterol in normal rats by intragastric administration for 7 consecutive days. But polygonum cuspidatum decoction showed no obvious effect, which might be associated with less resveratrol contained in decoction;
8. Its decoction has obvious hemostasis on traumatic bleeding and certain hemostasis on upper gastrointestinal bleeding by taken orally;
Japanese Knotweed: Dreadable Edible:
Resveratrol Effects – Resveratrol has long been known to slow the aging process, help with inflammation. It also helps with the healing and prevention of cancer, protect the nervous system from the ravages of free radicals, helps the body with stress and seems to extend life in general.
Lots of Vitamins – Japanese Knotweed also contains lots of Vitamin A and Vitamin C which are powerful antioxidants.
Anti-Inflammatory – Japanese Knotweed because of all the powerful antioxidants helps with arthritis, joint disease, pain, swelling, and redness associated with inflammation. And inflammation is the first step towards disease so using Japanese Knotweed can prevent disease in general.
Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia – Because Japanese Knotweed contains so many powerful antioxidants including resveratrol it can help prevent and in some cases reverse neuronal plaque buildup in the brain.
Liver Detoxing – Japanese Knotweed has been shown in studies with animals to help in the healing process of liver disease and acute liver toxicity.
Prevents Heart Disease – This wonderful herb has the ability to prevent cardiovascular disease, thus many people add Knotweed to their diet to prevent cardiovascular challenges.
Lowers Blood Pressure – Japanese Knotweed has been shown in studies to lower blood pressure in animals because it contains anthraquinone which dilates blood vessels.
Prevents Cancer – As with all powerful antioxidants they have the ability to help prevent cancer. Studies show that Japanese Knotweed because of it’s high antioxidant rating can help with the healing of breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and other types of cancer.
Heals the GI Tract – Japanese Knotweed is great for healing GI inflammation, constipation, bloating, gas, cramps, and other chronic digestive problems. Again the main healing agent is resveratrol which is amazing for healing inflammation.
Lowers Cholesterol – Studies show that Japanese Knotweed can also lower cholesterol thus helping to prevent cardiovascular disease and strokes.
Lyme’s Disease – Very few compounds seem to help with lyme disease but Japanese Knotweed seems to ease the symptoms of the disease. For Lyme’s disease many recommend using from a teaspoon or more (some even recommend a tablespoon) of the powder 3 times a day mixed with juice, this is a much higher dose for Lyme’s disease.